Please read the 2017 Election Notice.
Four Councillors are elected from and by the AIATSIS membership: at least two Aboriginal/ Torres Strait Islanders and two females are required.
Elected Council Members’ terms are due to expire on 16 May 2017.
The nomination period will begin 20 February 2017. Australian Election Company, an independent election service provider, has been appointed by AIATSIS to conduct the election.
Copies of the 2017 Election Notice and Nomination Certificate have been emailed to members.
Please contact the Executive officer if you did not receive the documents.
P: 02 6261 4236
Our 640 strong (and growing)membership network is a unique part of our organisation's structure.
As an AIATSIS Member, you can be apart of a network of Indigenous and non-Indigenous Australians involved in all aspects of Indigenous knowledge and culture. Whether you are interested in research, archiving or finding out more about Aboriginal and Torres Strait peoples, being a member is a great way to contribute your expertise to help AIATSIS’ future and be apart of a community committed to preserving, strengthening and sharing Indigenous knowledge.
Members play an important part in shaping the AIATSIS Council by being able to nominate for election to Council and vote in the elections of Council. Membership appointments are for a five year period, after which reappointment is considered automatically unless you resign in writing.
Benefits of AIATSIS membership
- Cost – FREE;
- Stand for election and vote to the AIATSIS Council;
- Keep up to date with news at AIATSIS by receiving regular e-newsletters and invitations to events;
- Receive a 25% discount on most Institute publications, the biennial AIATSIS Conference and other AIATSIS public programs;
- Receive an AIATSIS membership card; and
- When in Canberra, borrow books overnight from the Institute library.
Becoming a member
To become a member, applicants must submit a membership application form. AIATSIS Council assess and appoint members, who meet at least one of the below criteria and who can demonstrate their interest in Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander culture and heritage.
Successful applicants are granted membership for a period of five years, after which reappointment is considered automatically unless you resign in writing.
Criteria for membership
Applicants must meet at least one of the following criteria to be considered for membership:
- Participation or employment in Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander community or cultural organisations;
- Involvement in research, teaching or study related to Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples’ culture and heritage; or
- Participation, including employment, in activities related to the collection, management, preservation and custodianship of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples’ culture and heritage.
Apply for membership
To apply for membership, download and complete the membership application form. Then, send your completed application form:
- by email to email@example.com
- by post to The Executive Officer, AIATSIS, GPO Box 553, Canberra, ACT 2601
Questions or to change your contact details
Email the Executive Officer or phone 02 6261 4236.